2004年06月24日

A bad beginning makes a bad ending.

不善始者不善终。

 

A bad thing never dies.

遗臭万年。

 

A bad workman always blames his tools.

不会撑船怪河弯。

 

A bird in the hand is worth than two in the bush.

一鸟在手胜过双鸟在林。

 

A boaster and a liar are cousins-germen.

吹牛与说谎本是同宗。

 

A bully is always a coward.

色厉内荏。

 

A burden of one’s choice is not felt.

爱挑的担子不嫌重。

 

A candle lights others and consumes itself.

蜡烛照亮别人,却毁灭了自己。

 

A cat has nine lives.

猫有九条命。

 

A cat may look at a king.

人人平等。

 

A close mouth catches no flies.

病从口入。

 

A constant guest is never welcome.

常客令人厌。

 

Actions speak louder than words.

事实胜于雄辩。

 

Adversity leads to prosperity.

穷则思变。

 

Adversity makes a man wise, not rich.

逆境出人才。

A fair death honors the whole life.

死得其所,流芳百世。

 

A faithful friend is hard to find.

知音难觅。

 

A fall into a pit, a gain in your wit.

吃一堑,长一智。

 

A fox may grow gray, but never good.

江山易改,本性难移。

 

 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

患难见真情。

 

A friend is easier lost than found.

得朋友难,失朋友易。

 

A friend is never known till a man has need.

需要之时方知友。

 

A friend without faults will never be found.

没有十全十美的朋友。

 

‘After you’ is good manners.

“您先请”是礼貌。

 

A good beginning is half done.

良好的开端是成功的一半。

 

A good beginning makes a good ending.

善始者善终。

 

A good book is a good friend.

好书如挚友。

 

A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever.

一本好书,相伴一生。

 

A good conscience is a soft pillow.

不做亏心事,不怕鬼叫门。

2004年06月12日

THE leaders of 17 countries gathered in France last weekend to mark the 60th anniversary of D-Day. This was the allied invasion of the Normandy coast in German-controlled France on June 6, 1944, which led to the surrender of Nazi Germany in World War II.     
上周,17个国家的元首聚集法国,庆祝诺曼底登陆60周年。1944年6月6日,盟军在诺曼底登陆,攻进了德军控制下的法国,这一行动最终导致了纳粹德国在二战中的失败。

The guests included US President George W. Bush, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Russian President Vladimir Putin and the host, President Jacques Chirac of France. Also present was Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, the first German leader ever to take part in the D-Day remembrance event.     
出席庆典的各国元首包括美国总统乔治·布什,英国首相托尼·布莱尔,俄罗斯总统弗拉基米尔·普京以及做为东道主的法国总统雅克·希拉克。德国总理格哈德·施罗德也做为德国历史上首位参加诺曼底登陆纪念活动的国家领导人出席了仪式。
 
Chirac said he wanted “both a festival, with moments of seriousness, and a signal that finally we can live in peace.”
希拉克表示,他希望这个日子能引发人们认真回顾历史,也能象征和平最终来临。

Though this invitation to Germany was criticized by some, Hamlaoui Mekachera, French War Veterans Minister, said it is time to turn the page.     
尽管这次邀请德国参与庆典的做法遭到了一些人的置疑,但法国退伍军人事务部长级代表哈姆拉维·梅卡舍拉解释说,是该翻开历史新篇章的时候了。
 
“We want to use the past for the future and the future for us is the building of a lasting peace,” he said. “When the past serves this lasting peace, why not?”     
“历史的作用就是帮助我们创造更好的未来,而我们的未来就是维护和平”,他说,“如果历史能帮助我们维护持久的和平,那么何乐而不为呢?”

The event also saw France try to ease tension with the US following Chirac’s opposition to the war in Iraq. The Legion of Honour, the country’s highest award, was presented to 300 veterans, including 100 Americans, at a June 5 ceremony in Paris.
同时,这次活动也恰好打破了因希拉克反对伊拉克战争而导致的法美之间的僵局。当天,在巴黎举行的纪念仪式上,还为包括100位美国人在内的300位退伍军人颁发了代表法国最高荣誉的荣誉团勋章。

This was a friendly sign to assure Americans that France remembers, and remains thankful for their support and sacrifices during World War II .     
法国以此来表示他们仍然感激二战中美国对法国的支持以及为法国做出的牺牲。

2004年06月11日

there’s a place in your heart
and i know that it is love
and this place could be much
brighter than tomorrow
and if you really try
you’ll find there’s no need to cry
in this place you’ll feel
there’s no hurt or sorrow
there are ways to get there
if you care enough for the living
make a little space
make a better place …
heal the world
make it a better place
for you and for me
and the entire human race
there are people dying
if you care enough for the living
make it a better place
for you and for me
if you want to know why
there’s love that cannot lie
love is strong
it only cares of joyful giving
if we try we shall see
in this bliss we cannot feel
fear od dread
we stop existing and start living
the it feels that always
love’s enough for us growing
so make a better world
make a better place …
heal the world
make it a better place
for you and for me
and the entire human race
there are people dying
if you care enough for the living
make a better place for you and for me
and the dream we were conceived in
will reveal a joyful face
and the world we once believed in
will shine again in grace
then why do we keep strangling life
wound this earth, crucify its soul
though it’s plain to see
this world is heavenly
be god’s glow
we could fly so high
let our spirits never die
in my heart i feel you are all my brothers
create a world with no fear
together we cry happy tears
see the nations turn their swords into plowshares
we could really get there
if you cared enough for the living
make a little space
to make a better place …

heal the world
make it a better place
for you and for me
and the entire human race
there are people dying
if you care enough for the living
make a better place for you and for me

there are pepole dying
if you care enough for the living
make a better place for you and for me

you and for me …

MEN today are more handsome than their ancestors. That’s because “choosy” women got the upper hand in the battle for sexual power, say scientists.

As our ancestors evolved, the ability to attract a female mate changed. Good looks may have become more important than the ability to fight off male rivals, suggests a new study.

By studying the faces of chimpanzees, gorillas and other monkeys, researchers in Germany and the University of Cambridge have come to believe that our ancestors may have sacrificed fighting for mating in other ways, reports New Scientist magazine.

“Our research suggests that in early humans, a face that was attractive had an advantage,” says Eleanor Weston at the Research Institute Senckenberg in Frankfurt, Germany.

Weston says that changes were probably caused by choosy females who began to demand handsomeness, not physical force.

Prominent teeth that still indicate a male’s power and fighting ability in many primates like baboons and gorillas, may have been replaced by less aggressive teeth and looks.

Broader faces with prominent cheekbones, not unlike those of contemporary movie stars — including Orlando Bloom of the UK, Johnny Depp and Viggo Mortensen of the US — were preferred by females.

Sexual selection was starting to be driven by the attractiveness of a male’s face in the chimpanzees, believes Weston. This went together with the development of broader faces with more prominent cheekbones.
 

2004年06月08日

ARE you happy with your office? Have you ever imagined what you would find in tomorrow’s office? Well, just take a tour to see what US scientists have prepared for you:

Universities, government labs, and companies like IBM, Microsoft, and US office-furniture maker Steelcase are making plans to change the office environment.

They include: chairs that sense when you’re stressed out and will, perhaps, tell your boss to take away some of your work; PCs that can figure out during your uncertain moments where you’ve seen an unfamiliar name; and desktops that, with a push of a button, transform themselves into a computer monitor to help discussions during a roundtable meeting.

These ideas have one goal in common: To raise white-collar productivity.The idea is to continue the inventions that have transformed offices over the past 15 years. As recently as 1990, voice mail was still being introduced. Email was largely self-contained within companies — attending a meeting in another city meant going there.

Since then, Net communication — such as email, instant messaging, and videoconferencing — has sped up both work and business decisions.

Now, the need for increased efficiency to meet the needs of mobile employees has experts saying that office innovation is about to take another leap.

For example, to adapt products to the mobile workstyle, Microsoft is working on allowing an email or voice-mail message to arrive at whatever computer or phone you’re closest to. Drop your cell phone on your desk when you arrive at work, and special chips in it will route cell calls to your office number, the company says.

Better software can also make collaboration more effective. Surveys show that employees think that half the time they spend in meetings is wasted. So a number of companies, including Microsoft, have developed digital white boards. These are built into desks to allow everyone in a meeting to jot down ideas.

Videoconferencing should improve dramatically as well. In its model office, Microsoft uses cameras to project a 360-degree view of everyone at the table for employees who join a meeting remotely. In an inset screen at the bottom of the first display, they might also show the face of each person who speaks. The idea is to avoid misunderstandings that are common to phone conferencing.

Smart software might boost efficiency in other ways. For instance, it could take over routine tasks and leave more time for creative thinking. Sandia National Laboratories is developing a programme that lets a PC or other computing device take in the knowledge within your files. In that way, you can retrieve information based on the data you’d like to find rather than using a file name, says Chris Forsythe, a member of Sandia’s technical staff.

A more advanced version of this software would know that you’ve been called away during a conference call, and it would give you a typed summary of the most important points the caller discussed. Essentially, it would act as a personal assistant, says Forsythe.

Meanwhile, researchers at the Palo Alto (California) Research Centre are developing programmes that should help an office worker who’s been asked to develop a 400-page report overnight, says Mark Stefik. The programme can sum up the main points and present them in grammatically correct sentences in just a few pages.

Another way to accomplish that is for employees to wear a badge with radio-frequency identification. As you approach your office, a scanner might read the badge and tell your computer, which would then open to the page you last read.

However, experts say that many of these technologies will have to get cheaper before they can be commercialized. And because office furniture typically has a 10-year lifespan, replacement will be gradual.

2004年06月04日

WHEN people in Australia asked me what I planned to do for the next few months I told them, I was going to work at a newspaper in China. If any of them asked whether I knew any Chinese, I simply answered “no.” Whenever someone inquired whether I thought that would make things difficult, I simply answered “yes.”

When I arrived in China I got the sense that I was alone. This was not because of a lack of friendly faces or helpful co-workers. They were everywhere. It was because of my limited Chinese language skills and notions of cultural practice.

Here I was attempting to live in this country and get used to the Chinese lifestyle, all on about six words or phrases — most of which slipped my mind when I panicked.

I felt embarrassed when I was asked a question and all I could do was looking blankly at the person. Even the trusty phrase — “wo bu dong” — usually left my brain as I stood with my mouth slightly ajar.

Of course, there are certain ways to get around the language barrier. I instantly became good at using sign language and pointing to things instead of using words.

Pulling my hands out of my pockets and gesticulating madly has worked wonders in many situations already. And people seem keen to help out in any way they can, even if it is just with a friendly grin.

I find myself thankful that I have come to a country where people are very friendly and helpful.

Upon visiting Tian’anmen Square, I was taken aback by the number of local people eager to chat to me in my native English, either to practice their language skills or show me around their famous square.

I felt frustrated that I could not offer the same level of conversation in their native tongue. But my inability to communicate certainly did not take away from my experience at Tian’anmen Square. I was struck by its immense size, the grandeur of the temples, and I was impressed by the discipline of the army as they took down the flag as the sun disappeared.

The most satisfying part of the day for me, however, was the fact that I had accomplished my mission, to find and discover Tian’anmen, with relative ease. I felt on top of the world as I got on the bus and paid for my fare, all without understanding anything that was said to me beyond “xie xie”.

For the short time that I have been living alone with no language skills, I have been forced to think for myself, and to think on my feet. It is an invaluable life experience, and creates challenge after challenge.

I hope that my Chinese improves as I spend more time in the country. But while I practice I always have ten good fingers for pointing.

slip:            vi.滑倒;错过;变弱;减退;迅速穿衣
                      vt.使滑;切掉…的枝;支付;放开;闪避
                       n.纸片;女人用的无袖衬衣;瘦小的年轻人
panick:       =panic n.惊慌;恐慌
                       adj.由惊慌引起的;恐慌的
                       vt.使恐慌;使大笑
                       vi.感到惊慌;惊慌失措
a’jar:            adj. or adv.半开的(地);不和谐的(地);冲突的(地)
barrier:       n.界线;障碍
ges’ticulate:v.做手势
grin:            v. or n.露齿而笑;露出牙齿
frus’trate:   vt.使受挫;破坏;使挫败;使无用;使心情沮丧
struck:        vt.(strike的过去式)打;打动;迷住;采取;删除;停止
                        vi.打;击;罢工;着火;走;划桨;努力;突然开始;打扰
                        n.罢工;优良品质
i’mmense:   adj.极广大的;无限的;巨大的;[口语]极妙的;极好的
grandeur:   n.庄严;雄伟;伟大;尊贵
discipline:   n.纪律;训练;教训;风纪;惩戒
                       vt.训练;惩戒;控制;使遵守纪律
in’valuable:adj.无价的,极贵重的

2004年06月03日

CICADAS that appear from underground only once every 17-years are making big news in the US.     
有一种蝉每隔17年才露出地面一次。在美国,它们现在是热门新闻。

The first signs are little holes in parks and fields. Then, big, red-eyed bugs start crawling out.      
一开始,在公园或田间地头会出现小小的洞穴。然后,红眼睛的大虫子就会从洞里爬出来。

Thousands of these black, winged insects cover sidewalks, mailboxes, tree branches, and roofs across certain areas of America.     
现在,成千上万的这种带翅膀的小黑虫布满了美国一些地区的人行道、邮箱、树枝和房顶。
 
Many insect lovers are going out to parks to observe what scientists believe to be the largest emergence of an insect group
in history.     
许多昆虫爱好者正纷纷前往公园,观察这种被科学家认为是历史上出现的最大规模的昆虫群体。
 
But you don’t have to live in the US to study the amazing bugs that inhabit our world. Summer is coming. With it come warm
days and many chances to have a look at bugs. These creatures keep our ecosystems running and make up the majority of our planet’s population!      
不过,观察自然界里奇妙的昆虫不必非得在美国才行。夏天快到了,天气也越来越热,我们就有更多的机会看到虫子了。正是这些从数量上占
据地球生物绝大多数的物种在维持着地球生态系统的运转。
 
Many people use the words “bugs” and “insects” to refer to anything with more than four legs. But an insect actually has six
legs, a three-part body, and an exoskeleton, which is a skeleton on the outside of its body. Ants, butterflies and cicadas are all insects.     
许多人把四条腿以上的任何生物都称为“虫子”或“昆虫”。然而,昆虫其实有六条腿,身体分为三部分,还有外骨骼,即长在身体外面的骨
骼。蚂蚁、蝴蝶和蝉都属于昆虫。
 
Insects keep our environment working by recycling garbage and dead plants. They serve as food for animals, and pollinate
plants. Doctors have even found ways of using them in medical treatments to help sick people.      
昆虫分解垃圾废料和衰败的植物来维持地球生态环境的运作。它们为动物提供食物,还能为植物授粉。医生甚至在疾病治疗中也用到昆虫。
 
Tracking down insects to watch can be as simple as going to your local park to look for ants, or as complicated as walking
out into the woods to find rare beetles. Just look carefully and be patient, and something will turn up.      
捉昆虫可能像在当地公园找蚂蚁那样不费吹灰之力;也可能像去小树林找罕见的甲虫那样难。但是只要仔细观察,有耐心,你就总会有所收获

 
If you want to do more than just watch, you can collect bugs. Take along a butterfly net to catch flying insects and tweezers
to pick up bugs. Take clean, empty food jars with small air holes poked in the lids, so you can keep the bugs for a little while, perhaps overnight.     
除了观察,如果你还想做点什么的话,那就收集昆虫吧。用一张捉蝴蝶的网就可捉住飞虫,然后用镊子把它们取下来,放在干净的空食品罐里
,罐子的盖上要留通气孔,这样你就可以把昆虫保留一会儿,甚至一个晚上。
 
Great creatures to look out for during summer include beetles, butterflies and dragonflies. However, creatures to watch but
not disturb are spiders, bees, wasps, and centipedes. All of them may leave a painful bite if you touch them and some bites can be dangerous.      
在夏天时,经常碰到的大虫子包括甲虫、蝴蝶还有蜻蜓。但是,有些昆虫可以观察但切莫打扰,如蜘蛛,蜜蜂,大黄蜂和蜈蚣等。如果碰它们
的话,你可能会被咬一口,很疼的,而且有些咬伤是很危险的。
 
When handling and watching the insects you find, remember: they may look different from us, but they have many of the same
feelings, such as fear and pain.      
当观察、处理你所发现的昆虫时,切记:对我们来说,它们虽然另一种生物,但也有许多和我们一样的情感,如恐惧和痛苦。
 
Have a look, but no poking or pinching, please!     
所以观察时,请不要乱戳或乱捏昆虫!

2004年06月01日

CHINA is now the world’s biggest maker of pianos and guitars and is moving into other parts of the musical instrument industry. And the biggest producer is Pearl River Piano. It estimates that it will make half a million guitars and 80,000 pianos this year.

“With our good quality and low prices, our products will be successful,” Tong Zhicheng, general manager of Pearl River, told BusinessWeek magazine.
 
Tong has been with Pearl River for 44 years.

But, China now has around 1,000 instrument manufacturers, according to the China Musical Instrument Association. They made 3 million guitars and 343,500 pianos last year.

Only a few Chinese companies make the best instruments. Most of the output is low-quality and will stay in the domestic market. Still, exports are growing.

Meanwhile, China’s increased instrument production is pushing prices down. In the US, you can now find a good piano for less than US$2,000.

“Because of China, our average retail price in 2003 was 10 per cent lower than in 2002,” Richard Ash, chief executive of Sam Ash Music, a retailer with 41 outlets in 13 US states, told BusinessWeek.

Today, more than a third of the products Ash sells come from China.

In the past five months, Steinway Musical Instruments has closed two US factories that make saxophones and clarinets and is buying more low-cost instruments from China.

The company insists its products still won’t be made in China. But it’s clear that demand for more expensive instruments has dropped.

This is not about the US exporting jobs. Production of lower-level instruments left the US long ago. It went to Japan, then to Korea, then Indonesia. It’s those countries that will lose jobs in the shift to China.

Japan’s Yamaha is the world’s biggest instrument maker. It has a joint venture with Pearl River and is opening its own plant in Guangzhou, this fall. Korea’s Samick Musical Instruments plans to double annual capacity in Tianjin, to 60,000 pianos, by 2008. Its production in Korea fell to 40,000 pianos in 2003 from 200,000 a decade ago.

The market still has a lot of room.

Fewer than 1 per cent of Chinese households today own pianos, compared with around 20 per cent in developed countries. So, there’s plenty of room there.

Many high-end musical instruments are still US brands. These include the US$50,000 Steinway & Sons pianos and US$2,000 Gibson Les Paul guitars. Those are the brands consumers typically seek as incomes grow.

2004年05月31日

February has long been a month of romance. With the sweet smell of roses in the air, romantic films hit cinemas and love stories fill newspapers and magazines.
二月作为浪漫的月份由来已久。在这个时节,空气中弥漫着玫瑰花的芳香,影院里放映浪漫的电影,而爱情故事充斥了各种报纸和杂志。

On the 14th day, it is customary for a boy to take his girlfriend out to dinner, buy her flowers and chocolates, write poems, sing to her or even spell out her name with rose petals!
在2月14日这一天,男孩通常都要邀请女朋友共赴正餐。除此之外,男孩还要为女朋友买花和巧克力,为她写诗,为她歌唱,甚至还要用玫瑰花瓣拼出女孩的名字。
 
This is the scene that greets you on Valentine’s Day, named after Valentine who was a priest in third century Rome. When the emperor decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives, he banned marriage.
映入你眼帘的这幕情景就是情人节。情人节又名瓦伦丁节,是以公元三世纪一名罗马牧师的名字命名的。当时的罗马皇帝认为单身男人比有老婆的男人更适合当兵打仗,于是他下令禁止结婚。
 
But Valentine continued to perform marriage ceremonies for young lovers in secret. When his actions were discovered, the emperor had him put to death..    
但是瓦伦丁继续秘密地为年轻的爱人们举行结婚仪式。当他的行为被发现后,皇帝判处瓦伦丁死刑。

While in prison, it is said that Valentine fell in love with the daughter of his prison guard. Before his death, he wrote her a letter, which he signed “From your Valentine”, an expression that is still in use today.
据说在狱中,瓦伦丁与狱卒的女儿坠入爱河。临死前,瓦伦丁给她写了一封信,信中他签上了“来自你的瓦伦丁”。这一措辞沿用至今。
 
Valentine died for what he believed in and so was made a Saint, as well as becoming one of history’s most romantic figures.
瓦伦丁为他的信仰而牺牲,因而被奉为圣徒,并且成为历史上最浪漫的人物之一。
 
Nowadays, Valentine’s Day wins the same popularity among Chinese young people. It is a time when students “don’t want to be alone” according to Gao Shunjie, a student reporter for 21st Century Teens in Jinling High School, Nanjing. Some of her classmates are planning to make Valentine’s cards for parents, teachers and friends. Others want to hold parties at which they will exchange small gifts and eat heart-shaped cakes. The idea is to have fun and encourage people to share in the spirit of St. Valentine.
现在,情人节在中国青年人中间也得到了同样程度的普及。《21世纪中学生英文报》在南京金陵中学的学生记者高顺洁说,情人节已经成为学生们“不愿独处”的时分。她的一些同学计划为父母、老师和朋友制作情人节贺卡。其他人想要举办聚会,届时他们可以互换小礼物,品尝心型蛋糕。这些活动创意的目的就是营造轻松愉快氛围,鼓励人们共享圣瓦伦丁精神。

2004年05月29日

01. I’m an office worker.
      我是上班族。


02. I work for the government.
      我在政府机关做事。


03. I’m happy to meet you.
      很高兴见到你。


04. I like your sense of humor.
      我喜欢你的幽默感。


05. I’m glad to see you again.
      很高兴再次见到你。


06. I’ll call you.
      我会打电话给你。


07. I feel like sleeping/taking a walk.
      我想睡/散步。


08. I want something to eat.
      我想吃点东西。


09. I need your help.
      我需要你的帮助。


10. I would like to talk to you for a minute.
      我想和你谈一下。


11. I have a lot of problems.
      我有很多问题。


12. I hope our dreams come true.
      我希望我们的梦想成真。


13. I’m looking forward to seeing you.
      我期望见到你。


14. I’m supposed to go on a diet/get a raise.
      我应该节食/涨工资。


15. I heard that you’re getting married.  Congratulations.
      听说你要结婚了,恭喜!


16. I see what your mean.
      我了解你的意思。


17. I can’t do this.
      我不能这么做。


18. Let me explain why I was late.
      让我解释迟到的理由。


19. Let’s have a beer or something.
      咱们喝点啤酒什么的。


20. Where is your office?
      你们的办公室在哪?


21. What is your plan?
      你的计划是什么?


22. When is the store closing?
      这家店什么时候结束营业?


23. Are you sure you can come by at nine?
      你肯定你九点能来吗?


24. Am I allowed to stay out past 10?
      我可以十点过后再回家吗?


25. The meeting was scheduled for two hours, but it is not over yet.
      会议原定了两个小时,不过现在还没有结束。


26. Tom’s birthday is this week.
      汤姆的生日就在这个星期。


27. Would you care to see it/sit down for a while?
      你要不要看/坐一会呢?


28. Can you cover for me on Friday/help me/tell me how to get there?
      星期五能不能请你替我个班/你能帮我吗/你能告诉我到那里怎么走吗?


29. Could you do me a big favor?
      能否请你帮我个忙?


30. He is crazy about Crazy English.
      他对疯狂英语很着迷。


31. Can you imagine how much he paid for that car?
      你能想象他买那车花了多少钱吗?


32. Can you believe that I bought a TV for $25?
      你能相信我花25美元买了一台电视机吗?


33. Did you know he was having an affair/cheating on his wife?
      你知道他有外遇了吗/欺骗他的妻子吗?


34. Did you hear about the new project?
      你知道那个新项目吗?


35. Do you realize that all of these shirts are half off?
      你知道这些衬衫都卖半价了吗?


36. Do you mind if I take tomorrow off?
      你介意我明天请假吗?


37. I enjoy working with you very much.
      我很喜欢和你一起工作。


38. Did you know that Stone ended up marrying his secretary?
      你知道吗?斯通最终和他的秘书结婚了。


39. Let’s get together for lunch.
      让我们一起吃顿午餐吧。


40. How did you do on your test?
      你这次考试的结果如何?


41. Do you think you can come?
      你认为你能来吗?


42. How was your weekend ?
      你周末过得怎么样?


43. Here is my card.
      这是我的名片。


44. He is used to eating out all the time.
      他已经习惯在外面吃饭了。


45. I’m getting a new computer for birthday present.
      我得到一台电脑作生日礼物。


46. Have you ever driven a BMW?
      你有没有开过“宝马”?


47. How about if we go tomorrow instead?
      我们改成明天去怎么样?


48. How do you like Hong Kong?
      你喜欢香港吗?


49. How do you want your steak?
      你的牛排要几分熟?


50. How did the game turn out?
      球赛结果如何?


51. How did Mary make all of her money?
      玛丽所有的钱是怎么赚到的?


52. How was your date?
      你的约会怎么样?


53. How are you doing with your new boss?
      你跟你的新上司处得如何?


54. How should I tell him the bad news?
      我该如何告诉他这个坏消息?


55. How much money did you make?
      你赚了多少钱?


56. How much does it cost to go abroad?
      出国要多少钱?


57. How long will it take to get to your house?
      到你家要多久?


58. How long have you been here?
      你在这里多久了?


59. How nice/pretty/cold/funny/stupid/boring/interesting.


60. How about going out for dinner?
      出去吃晚餐如何?


61. I’m sorry that you didn’t get the job.
      很遗憾,你没有得到那份工作。


62. I’m afraid that it’s not going to work out.
      我恐怕这事不会成的。


63. I guess I could come over.
      我想我能来。


64. Is it okay to smoke in the office?
      在办公室里抽烟可以吗?


65. It was kind of exciting.
      有点剌激。


66. I know what you want.
      我知道你想要什么。


67. Is that why you don’t want to go home?
      这就是你不想回家的原因吗?


68. I’m sure we can get you a great/good deal.
      我很肯定我们可以帮你做成一笔好交易。


69. Would you help me with the report?
      你愿意帮我写报告吗?


70. I didn’t know he was the richest person in the world.
      我不知道他是世界上最有钱的人。


71. I’ll have to ask my boss/wife first. 
      我必须先问一下我的老板/老婆。


72. I take it you don’t agree.
      这么说来,我认为你是不同意。


73. I tried losing weight, but nothing worked.
      我曾试着减肥,但是毫无效果。


74. It doesn’t make any sense to get up so early.
      那么早起来没有任何意义。


75. It took years of hard work to speak good English.
      讲一口流利的英语需要多年的刻苦操练。


76. It feels like spring/ I’ve been here before.
      感觉好象春天到了/我以前来过这里。


77. I wonder if they can make it.
      我在想他们是不是能办得到。


78. It’s not as cold / hot as it was yesterday. 
      今天不想昨天那么冷/热。


79. It’s not his work that bothers me; it’s his attitude.
      困扰我的不是他的工作,而是他的态度。


80. It sounds like you enjoyed it.
      听起来你好象蛮喜欢的。


81. It seems to me that he would like to go back home.
      我觉得他好象想要回家。


82. It looks very nice.
      看起来很漂亮。


83. Is everything under control?
      一切都在掌握之中吗?


84. I thought you could do a better job.
      我以为你的表现会更好。


85. It’s time for us to say “No” to America.
      是我们对美国说不的时候了。


86. The show is supposed to be good.
      这场表演应当是相当好的。


87. It really depends on who is in charge.
      那纯粹要看谁负责了。


88. It involves a lot of hard work.
      那需要很多的辛勤工作。


89. That might be in your favor.
      那可能对你有利。


90. I didn’t realize how much this meant to you.
      我不知道这个对你的意义有这么大。


91. I didn’t mean to offend you.
      我不是故意冒犯你。


92. I was wondering if you were doing anything this weekend.
      我想知道这个周末你有什么要做。


93. May I have your attention , please?
     请大家注意一下。


94. This is great golfing/swimming/picnic weather.
      这是个打高尔夫球/游泳/野餐的好天气。


95. Thanks for taking me the movie.
      谢谢你带我去看电影。


96. I am too tired to speak.
      我累得说不出活来。


97. Would you tell me your phone number?
      你能告诉我你的电话号码吗?


98. Where did you learn to speak English?
      你从哪里学会说英语的呢?


99. There is a TV show about AIDS on right now.
      电视正在播放一个关于爱滋病的节目。


100. What do you think of his new job/this magazine?
      你对他的新工作/这本杂志看法如何?